Friday, June 29, 2012

The Importance of Being Earnest, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People

This is a play that I have not yet read but would like to read sometime in the near future. Read it with me here! The title of this play randomly popped into my mind as random things do and prompted me to look it up. What I gathered is this:

"We should treat all trivial things in life very seriously, and all serious things of life with a sincere and studied triviality." - Oscar Wilde.


I got some valid criticisms about this blog, especially about documenting the triviality about the very serious and, quite frankly, non-trivial institution of work. If my current employer and/or prospective employers were to stumble upon this seemingly harmless blog, my work ethic and their respect for me could be compromised. What concerned me the most was the attitude I was giving off - it may seem demeaning, disrespectful, and unappreciative. But that isn't my aim. My aim is to bring humor to this thing called work that we do.


We all do these things, we develop tactics to pass the work day faster and even though we don't always publicly admit it or document it, we all know it's there. The lull of the work day and that itch deep down somewhere inside of you that is telling you to just drop everything and drive to the beach. It's a point of relation, the coming together of the trivial struggles of the working kind. It's a point of humor - something to smirk about when you're staring at a spreadsheet of cold, emotionless numbers or as you're getting paid to poop.


As for this blog - I'm not too worried about it getting in the way of my future prospects. You just have to do good work and have something to show for at the end of the day - even if it means sacrificing a trip to the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment